I wondered if this cookie could have killed Nora Ephron Can I say that here? With all due respect, a woman who died too soon. Truly.
This cookie is said to have been her favorite. Recipe source HERE.
It REEKS BADNESS. 0-3 second Heart Attack. Tell me WHY in the world would you add BUTTER to Skippy Peanut Butter–already an Evil Fat. See what I mean? This is the cookie you send home with unwanted guests, to your ex, to your very very old rich spinster aunt who has you in her will, skinny brunettes with fancy cars…..
Here at askirtaweek, I am a recovering Overachiever trying to cook like an Underachiever. When life throws too much at you, sometimes you have to scale back. Especially in the kitchen. But, failure is upon me because this cookie is, by it’s very nature, an Overachiever cookie.
Why? You ask.
It has a FILLING (read extra work). And two kinds of Peanut Butter. Geez.
And it goes STRAIGHT to your hips…. and heart. Swoon.
Filling, Otherwise known in ERs as “just hook me up to the EKG machine now.
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter, such as Skippy
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey, we used agave nectar cuz YOU KNOW, glycemic index would matter here.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Mix all this together. Well. And set aside to Slather on Cookies later.
The Cookie, Its Wicked Fattening Self Revealed…
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 2/3 cups rolled oats, such as Quaker old fashioned
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (the 2 extra Tablespoons do matter. Put them in. You already gained 5 pounds anyway.)
- 1/3 cup crunchy natural peanut butter, well mixed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Mix flour, baking soda and powder, salt and oats together in a bowl.
Cream butter in electric mixer with sugars and peanut butter. Add eggs one at a time, mix on low til incorporated. Pour in vanilla. Then add flour mixture in 2 batches, mixing on low until just combined.
Heat oven to 375.
The recipe recommends using an ice cream scoop for uniform size. Its a double decker huge cookie but hey, it’s a long time til swim suit season, right? Bake 12 minutes. If you double pan them, as the recipe recommends, it does seem to make them cook more evenly.
After they cool, spread a scant tablespoon of filling on one, find a matching one, and press the cookies together.
Eat one and QUICKLY give the rest away. Or feed them to your children. Their arteries are younger.
The photo above explained and…..
How we OVERACHIEVED the OVERACHIEVER Cookie……
To atone for these cookies, we will eat Quinoa for a week.